Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Homemade is better and healthier!

One of those rare days when I don't have any errands to run,chores to finish or laundry to fold...I tell myself I will rest and reeelax.I promise myself I will curl up in my favorite red Papasan chair with a nice big pile of baking books,cake decorating books and a nice big mug of black coffee.I will lay there for hours in my purple room while Waaiz plays with his StarWars toys and Maani sits by me with his laptop(I actually don't mind him working on his geeky stuff).ahhh sounds like a lazy Sunday! Until I get this itch in my hands to get up and find something to do in my kitchen! ugh gotta love creativity.
So I made homemade Mayonnaise and Peanut butter for the boy and Almond butter for myself and Maani.
They tasted SOOOOOO good :D Khan men ate peanut butter and almond butter on the banana bread Waaiz made earlier.And Waaiz took out some Strawberries from the refrigerator and enjoyed some peanut butter on them.
Waaiz gave 2 thumbs up to the mayo and kept saying this tasted better than the store bought.SCORE!!! and...it didn't have any eggs in it.How cool is that.
Here are the recipes.
Vegan Mayonnaise.
1/2 cup Soy Milk
1/4 Teaspoon Mustard
3 Teaspoons Lemon juice
1/4 Teaspoon paprika
1/8 Teaspoon black pepper
1/8 Teaspoon salt
6 teaspoon Olive Oil.
1 pack Silken Tofu (optional)
Combine first 6 ingredients in a blender jar ( I have this set and it came perfectly handy when making the mayonnaise).Now use your immersion blender and blend at low speed.While blending add Olive Oil ONE DROP AT A TIME.This is VERY crucial to get the thick spreadable consistency. Blend from bottom up.
If you are not using Tofu,then you might wanna add about 8-10teaspoons of Olive oil.I used Silken Tofu,hence I used 6tsp of oil.
Keep in an air tight jar in the refrigerator.
Almond Butter:
1 cup Almonds
1 teaspoon oil (coconut oil/olive oil/almond oil)
1/2 teaspoon 100% pure maple syrup (YUM!!!) or Honey.
Add everything to your chopper and blend until thick and pasty.You might wanna have to stop the machine and stir it occasionally.
Add a few drops of pure almond extract for a fresh Almond aroma! Absolutely yummy.
Peanut Butter:
Same ingredients and process as Almond butter(obviously you use Peanuts instead of Almonds :) and you can add peanut oil instead of Almond oil and substitute the almond extract with butter extract.YUM!
You can also try roasting your Peanuts in the oven at 375' for a few minutes.Or you can dump them in a skillet and roast them for a few minutes on the stove top.Roasting nuts brings out the oils and deep nutty flavors,hence a yummier peanut butter!
OK, now get busy in your kitchens and stop buying the yucky shortening mixed peanut butter =) till next time tata.

No comments: