Thursday, March 18, 2010

When life gives you lemons...

... you start dancing to the Indian song,Nimora! LOL ...or you can cook this yummy Lemon garlic chicken.I did! and I have no regrets :D I'd rather cook then dance.
So I picked up these beauties at the grocery store the other day just because they were so darn cute! something about Spring and refreshing lemons!
Now,I had to do something with these,I came across this recipe from Chef Emeril Lagasse.I suck at following directions,I HAVE to alter the recipe according to my style of cooking,so I had to make this confession after I finished making this dish," O forgive me Chef,for I have sinned and changed your recipe" :D
First I gathered these ingrdients.
Obviously those lemons :) wash them and cut them in half.

about 1/2 cup of lemon juice
Garlic...LOTS of garlic,about 20 cloves,chopped.
I love Mushrooms, so I added a few mushrooms.They are really yummy with chicken over pasta.
I also chopped about half a bunch of spring onions.
oooh YES!!! Jalapenos, for the kick! as many as you can handle =)
half a bunch chopped fresh Parsley.
about 2 large onions,thinly sliced.
7-9 bayleaves
You will need, Chicken- the original recipe calls for thighs,I don't like cooking anything but boneless chicken,so I took about 4 chicken breasts and cut it into fillets.
1/4 cup of Whole wheat flour.
Coat the chicken breasts with whole wheat flour to make a nice thin crust on them.
Add about 2 teaspoons of olive oil in your pan and start setting the chicken in the pan,like this:
Let cook on medium low heat for about 4 minutes and then flip them,careful not to overlap the chicken pieces.See how nice and golden the surface is :) YUM!
When both sides are golden,take the chicken out in a platter and set aside.Add about 1/8 cup of veggie broth or chicken broth to your pan and let it clean the crusted chicken juices and flour.
here we go.Your pan should be all nice and clean by now with nothing sticking to the surface.
Now as soon as the liquid is reduced, add onions slices,bay leaves ( I added LOTS of bayleaves),garlic,spring onions.Now will be a good time to kick the heat up to a medium high.
After a few minutes and 1 tsp salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon cayyenne pepper later this is what it looked like.It smelled delicious!
Add the chicken breasts ,parsley and Mushrooms.Cook for just 1-2 minutes.
add about 3 cups of veggie broth.Let it come to a boil and cook for 3 minutes after it boils.You will see the liquid starts getting thicker.
Now add lemon juice,this just kept getting better...
And do you remember those beautiful lemons that started all this :) ya...stick them in between the chicken pieces,upside down.
Cover your pan and stick it in the oven for about 20 minutes.Cook 10 minutes covered and then carefully remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes.
Do you see the french bread baking at the bottom rack :) yup! I had to bake some yummy bread to go with this chicken.
ahhhh gawgeous!!!
I just noticed, I cooked Emeril's recipe in my Emeril ware pan :)

This is what it looked like! an absolute winner.
That same evening,I decided to serve this chicken with Bruschetta pasta. So I broke some whole wheat pasta and set a big pot of water to boil.

While the pasta was boiling, I chopped up about 2 large roma tomatoes.
Added, 1 tablespoon of dried seasonings(oregano and basil) and 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the tomatoes.
Took the cooked pasta out on a serving dish and mixed the tomatoes in it. YUM!!!
Now you can serve your Lemon Garlic chicken over the pasta.


This is a very yummy dish,I loved it...the boys loved it,so I will be making it again.Tell me how you like it :)

1 comment:

Lorena Ballou said...

Yum!!! I want to take a bite right out of the computer. And I am so going to try your recipe for hummus. Thanks again for making such a nice presentation at my jewerly party I gave for my cousin.
You Rock!!!