Sunday, July 4, 2010

Coffee Cakes,Guacamole,chips,Coffee and Fireworks..mmmm :)

Nothing beats the smell of fresh baked Coffee cake with a mug full of hot coffee and the sound of fireworks :)
I got some rest all day today,and my sweet hubby managed to keep my newly chopped thumb out of the kitchen all day,but at the end of the day...I was bored out of my mind from sitting and reading books at the bookstore.Then we got up and came back home...I decided to give the two recipes I read for Coffee cakes,a try...and so I did :) The boys helped me...and they took care of the clean up as well.In about an hour,we had 2 new coffee cakes sitting on my kitchen counter top, one my healthy Banana Chocolate chip coconut coffee cake and the other one,3 berry cinnamon coffee cake.mmmmm they were YUMMY!!!
Here is how I...errr WE made the Banana Chocolate Chip Coconut Coffee cake.
2 Cups All Purpose Flour ( I used whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup ripe bananas (about 2 1/2 bananas)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
2Tbsp milk
1/2 sour cream ( I didn't have any on hand so I used yogurt :))
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cups macadamia nuts
Pre heat your oven to 350'F ..better yet..have your side kick do that for ya ;) haha! oh and have your little chef mash the bananas for ya as well :)
Combine and whisk the dry ingredients,set aside.I had little chef do that for me :) Add brown sugar to it as well.
In a big bowl or stand mixer,mix together, oil,eggs,bananas,milk,sour cream and vanilla.
Stir in the dry ingredients until completely blended.fold in the coconut shreds.
NO I DIDN'T CHEAT :) I just added semi sweet chocolate chips instead of macadamia nuts :) Prepare your loaf pan with the non stick spray,pour the batter into your pan
and bake for about 30 minutes on the middle rack.
While this was baking, I started the batter for the 3 Berry coffee cake.I used,
8 oz Cream cheese,
1 stick butter
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups All purpose flour ( I used Whole Wheat flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups mixed berries ( fresh or frozen- I used fresh strawberries,blackberries and dried cherries)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( I didn't have any so I used almonds)
1/8 tsp cinnamon.
Grease a 9" round pan or even a loaf pan. Preheat your oven to 350'F
Start out by whisking together the flour,salt,baking powder,baking soda and cinnamon.Set aside.
Have your husband chop the 3 berries for you :)
Beat butter and cream cheese together for a good 2 minutes,this is how creamy and fluffy it should be
add sugar and brown sugar.beat for additional 3 minutes.Throw in the dry ingredients,add the milk.

remember the almonds or walnuts..whatever you fancy :)

throw in the berries.Gently FOLD them in the batter.NOTE: The batter will be thick.
Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and then leave it in the oven for a good 35-40 minutes.
Notice the macho man in the backgroud??? now that's a good hubby...he was taking care of the utensils and bowls I used while making these coffee cakes.Since I can't afford to expose my poor thumb to water or soap :(...isn't he an angel !!! well today he is,haha!
tada!!! My healthy chocolate chip banana coconut coffee cake is done!!! and it smells delicious :)
and I had already made yummy dark coffee :)
few more minutes and the boys get their wish :)3 berry coffee cake is done!!! Looks yummy,eh.
Coffee is in the mugs,cakes are sliced into nice pieces...and we are all set to take our picnic blankets and head out to see the fireworks while we enjoy yummy fresh coffee cakes with hot coffee.Have a safe,happy and blessed 4th y'all!

No comments: