Tuesday, September 28, 2010

for the love of chocolate and bananas and oatmeal...oh my!

As many of my friends know,I LOVE LOVE LOVE Chocolate...not the ganahce' kind,not the semi sweet morsels kind and not the chocolate syrup kind.I love Dark chocolate...in CHUNKS-now that's true love :)
I wanted to make something yummy and chocolaty for myself,something I can enjoy with my coffee after dinner.YUM! One more thing I adore is my big mug o' coffee...my coffee pot is truly a never empty coffee pot :) I drink so much coffee throughout the day! but lately,I found that a few hours after dinner,I want to dig my teeth in dark chocolate treat.So I came up with this recipe.It was ridiculously easy and quick.I've got your attention now :)
OK, for the cake, you will need,
3 very ripe bananas
1 1/4 cup of Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup of old fashion oats
1/4 cup (I added 1/2 cup :D) good quality cocoa powder
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 egg
3 egg whites (or skip the 1 whole egg and use 4 egg whites)
1/8 cup fat free milk
1 Tbsp Oil
2 Tbsp Honey or maple syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
Chopped Ghirardelli Bitter sweet chocolate bars (as many as you can handle,heehee..umm I'd say 4 oz is a good amount to start with)
Preheat your oven at 350'F.Spray PAM spray in your loaf pan,or if you are really really craving this cake, just use two 9" round cake pans.
Start by mashing the very very ripe bananas.Add the baking soda to the banana puree and let that sit for a few minutes while you mix the other ingredients
Whisk egg whites until nice and foamy set aside.Take a big bowl and beat the egg in it really well, add the rest of the ingredients to this bowl.Take a spatula and mix until incorporated.
Now,add the bananas and mix into the mixture and then throw in the egg whites and chopped chocolate and mix.
Pour the batter into the pans and bake for about 15 minutes.Get your coffee on :)
YUM! I Loved these little bites of pure delight! I felt like I was eating something bad,yup these are that good.Very rarely I tell my boys to stay away from my deserts :) I bake for them most of the time,but this one...this is ALL MINE!!!
ENJOY !!! Remember you don't have to give up taste and chocolate,in order to eat healthy :)

No comments: