Friday, March 11, 2011

...put a ring on it! umm lady finger people :)

So I found these gorgeous lady fingers at the vegetable market,last week.I had to bring them home.I will share with you,a yummy recipe that is very special to me.I have a very fond memory of a sweet day,when my dad made this dish for me and my brother.And the lady fingers ,tomatoes and peppers were picked fresh from my mom's vegetable garden.I have never seen my dad cook in the kitchen and that was one time he made a dish for us...and he did a great job! it was so delicious...I still haven't forgotten the taste of it.YUM!
First,you wash the lady fingers and spread them in a tray or on a kitchen towel.When all the water is dry cut them in 1" pieces,here I cut them at an angle.
Now, take a medium size onion,slice it thinly.Pour some olive oil in a pan with Medium heat On and add the onions.
Add, 1tsp of cumin seeds, 1 tsp of mustard seeds,1 tsp of fennel seeds,1tsp nigella seeds(kalonji) and 1/4 tsp of mustard powder.Stir.add,1tsp of cayenne powder,1 tsp of coriander powder and 1 tsp of chopped garlic and/or ginger.Stir again making sure nothing burns or sticks to the bottom of the pan.
Now, add 2 medium size potatoes and slice them thinly and add them to your pan.I added chopped Jalapenos as well.Add 3 medium sized roma tomatoes(chopped) in there and cook until the potatoes are tender.
In another wok or frying pan on high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the lady fingers.Keep the flame /heat setting on high,so your lady fingers dont get a chance to be gooey.
Saute' the lady finger (Okra) and just when it starts getting tender and changes its color to a hint of shiny brown,add some salt,about 1/4 tsp of black pepper and 1 1/2 tsp of white vinegar.This is the key to make a non gooey okra,is to add vinegar and frying it at high heat.
Now, add that okra to your potato ,onion and tomato curry
Carefully toss the two together.Cover and let the flavors blend in for a few minutes.
Serve it with warm naan or pita bread.See how easy and pretty :)

No comments: