Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cabbage fever- hash greens ;)

This dish is a result of total foolishness...an example of what happens when you don't check your refrigerator before grocery shopping...you end up with 4 heads of Cabbage! 4 CABBAGES!!! and they do take up a lot of space in your fridge.
I think I got a little too happy with these farm fresh spheres.And picked up 2 cabbages each time I went to Sprouts.Now that they are here,I had to do something with them.Maani and I are not big cheese or butter fans... and he doesn't like anything that is savory and creamy,so a casserole was out of question.I am more of a snack person,baked,can be eaten with a fork with loads of my homemade Chipotle ketchup..YUM! So,I came up with the idea of making hash browns with cabbage.Waaiz corrected me and said, it should be hash "greens" so hash greens it is!
They are DELICIOUS!!! you almost feel like you are eating a cheat meal.
Here is what you do.
Chop the cabbage put it in a nice big bowl...sprinkle 1/4 tsp of salt on it and microwave it for 4 minutes or you can steam it over a double boiler...but who wants to wash loads of pots and pans,right!
Once the cabbage is out of the microwave...let it sit for a few minutes,until it is warm and safe to handle.Take a kitchen towel and spread it on a chopping board.Dump all the cabbage on it.Our goal is to take it to the sink and wring and squeeze all the water out of the cabbage.Ya,that takes some muscle strength :)
After you are done squeezing the water out,dump it back into that nice big bowl.This is what it should look like.

Chop some parsley,onions,celery and jalapeno.

Add that to the cabbage, sprinkle some more salt,black pepper (1/2 tsp) and white pepper (1/2 tsp) and any other spices and herbs you like.
Add 2 eggs and 2 egg whites or you can just add 4 eggs.Mix everything together really well.
I made the hash greens on my George Foreman grill but you can use a skillet or bake these in your oven on a cookie sheet at 450'F.I just find it easier to work on my GF grill.Set the temperature at 400'F and when it gets hot spray some PAM.
Now take the cabbage mixture and make it into a nice big ball with your palms,flatten it a bit and carefully put it on the grill.Now you will need a nice wide spatula to flatten your cabbage hash green even more.Let it cook on this side for 3 - 4 minutes.
BE PATIENT! Do not try to turn or play with these...ask me how I know :)
After 4 minutes,spray the tops of these hash greens with PAM and then...

...flip! YUM!
Let these guys cook for another 3-4 minutes.
And viola! you have a nice delicious Cabbage hash green :D ENJOY!
Don't forget to tell me how you like these.

1 comment:

Haley @ Climb Run Lift Mom said...

That looks really interesting!! I may have to try that. I still have try W's falafel yet... I'm such a slacker.