Monday, May 16, 2011

Low calorie delicious chocolate macaroons.

omg! you have got to try this recipe...it was posted this evening by exercisetv.I saw it before I went for my run.I knew this is going to be my post run treat.I mean,with only 21 calories per cookie,you can't go wrong!
oh and on my run,I saw the prettiest moon.It was so mesmerizing and mysterious and just beautiful! here see for yourself.
I told ya...it was beautiful! made my long run that much easier and pleasant,LOVE THAT!!!
Ok, so when I got home, I recruited my munchkin to help with these little pieces of heaven.Ofcourse he was ready to help me bake.
The preparation was easy and quick and I finally faced my fear of making a meringue and folding the batter without ruining the "peaks" yayyy for me!
Here is the original recipe,THANKS Pauline Nordin from the butt bible.
First we preheat our oven to 300'F.Then we dumped all the dry ingredients in one bowl.
We have,
1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder,
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup dried unsweetened coconut shreds
1/8 tsp salt
Original recipe called for 3 packs of stevia which I have never used,so I skipped that.
3/4 cup egg whites (about 3 extra large eggs)

Beat the cool egg whites( or let your little helper do that for you while you take pictures :p )
I also added a pinch of cream of tartar,I saw Chef Emeril Laggassi doing that while he was making macaroons.It helps with the "peaks"
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks( it took about 3 minutes)
whirrrrrrrrrrlllllllllll
Now add 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract and 1 1/2 tablespoon of honey on the foamy egg whites.Add the dry ingredients and with a long spatula gently fold it all in the egg whites.Be careful not to over mix,you don't want the foam to break into liquid( been there done that many times)
Waaiz stopped me at this point,he thought the marbled look was pretty neat.So I took his advice and stopped folding.
Scoop out the marbled cookie foam on your parchment lined cookie sheet.mmmm smells delicious already.
Bake them at 300'F for 10 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 275'F for another 20 minutes. That's 30 long minutes of waiting for these delicious macaroons.ah! Go make a 500 piece puzzle with your kiddo,that's what I did to kill time :)
Finally the darn timer beeped and ahhhhh here they are! I have already gobbled 3 of these macaroons with a cup of ice cold skimmed milk.mmmmm and Waaiz is pairing these macaroons with Almond breeze dark chocolate milk,ha! my child... a chocolate lover,makes me super proud ;)
oh Pauline! Thanks for these...I love you forever!
check out the nutritional information on these yummy treats:
31 cals per cookie,
2g fat, 2g carbs,
3g protein
WIN WIN!!! ;)

No comments: